“The uterus is a woman’s center. If her uterus is not in proper position and good health, nothing in her life will be right.
Don Elijio Panti, well-known Maya traditional healer and teacher of Dr. Rosita Arvigo.
What is a Maya Uterine Massage?
It is estimated that over half of all women have been told by their doctor or nurse practitioner that they have a tipped or tilted uterus. Practiced for centuries in Latin America by traditional healers and midwives, Maya Uterine Massage, is a slow external massage of the abdomen which softens the muscles and adjusts the uterus to its proper position. It is used to gently guide the uterus and pelvic organs into optimal placement in the pelvis, supporting reproductive health, enhancing pelvic blood flow and the body’s innate capacity to heal. This gentle repositioning technique is founded on the premise that a variety of life events including injury, childbirth, auto accidents, and even something as simple as running on hard surfaces, may cause a woman’s uterus to prolapse and/or tilt and become mal-positioned in the pelvis. Resulting symptoms may include more obvious problems like painful or irregular periods but may also result in more serious long-term reproductive problems including ovarian cysts, uterine fibroids and fertility issues.
What could cause a displaced uterus?
- Injury to the sacrum or tailbone from a fall or severe blow; car accidents
- Pelvic ligaments that have weakened due to overstretching during pregnancy and birth
- Running on hard surfaces
- Lifting or carrying heavy objects before or during menstruation and too soon after childbirth
- Time and gravity
- Past surgeries
- Weak pelvic floor muscles
- Chronic muscle spasm around the low back and sacrum
- Emotional armoring from abuse at any time in life
What are the symptoms of a displaced uterus?
- Painful or irregular periods; painful or irregular ovulation
- Dark blood at the onset and at the end of menstruation
- Headache or migraine with period
- Varicose veins of the legs and/or tired, weak or numb legs
- Low backache; back pain with period
- More serious imbalances including: Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids and Uterine Polyps
- PMS/ depression
- Frequent urination; bladder infections
- Recurrent vaginal infections
- Chronic miscarriages
- Difficulty getting pregnant/Infertility
- Painful intercourse
- Chronic constipation
- Difficult menopause
How quickly should I expect a change?
Depending on the severity of the problem, it may take as little as one session and as long as many months for the uterine position to be corrected and for the ligaments to gain enough strength and elasticity for it to stay in place. Four sessions is usually the minimum.
Women often report a rapid improvement in symptoms and sense of well-being when self-care is performed regularly.
Is Uterine Massage recommended for all women?
Almost every woman. Even women who have had hysterectomies can benefit greatly from Maya Uterine Massage through improved circulation, lymphatic drainage and a decrease in the formation of scar tissue.
Uterine massage is not performed:
- Within the first 6 weeks following a normal vaginal delivery or the first 3 months after a c-section
- For a woman using an IUD for birth control
- During the first trimester of pregnancy
Scheduling Individual Sessions with Shelley
Initial Session- 2 hours $200
Follow-up Sessions 4-pack: 90 minutes $460 or individual 90 minute sessions: $135
Depending on individual circumstances and health care needs, sessions may include: information on helpful herbal remedies, nutritional guidance, fertility awareness counseling, mind-body medicine and hypnotherapy. You and I will make those decisions together!